Help support the Thebaid Project by hosting a presentation at your parish!
This is a unique opportunity for churches, schools and other Orthodox Christian institutions and organizations to help support the Thebaid Project, while in turn receiving a multimedia educational presentation on the History of Orthodox Monasticism.
The North American Thebaid is a creative effort specifically intended to contribute in some small way to the “churching of America.” Hosting a Thebaid Presentation may help draw more people to the Orthodox Church, as well as help with the growth of Orthodox monasticism in America.
In addition, you have the opportunity to receive professional-quality photographic services — ideal for small or mission parishes.
I call this ‘Creative Tentmaking’
The name for this option comes from Acts 18:1-3, where we learn that the Apostle Paul worked with Aquila and Priscilla making tents to support themselves in Corinth while building up the church there.
With this option, in addition to delivering my presentation on the Thebaid Project (talk with digital slide show and video), I would do a photo shoot for the host parish/school/seminary. The images could be of parish life, worship, church school, or of the iconography, church building, and campus, etc.
We typically take up a collection after my presentation. Experience has shown the best time for the full presentation (45 min. to an hour, including Q&A) is on Saturday, before or after Vespers, or during coffee hour on Sunday following Liturgy.
Meet & Greet Option during Coffee Hour:
If you don’t have an immediate opening for the full presentation, I would still be delighted to come and set up my table-top display, with continuous digital slide show, and do a more informal “meet & greet event” during coffee hour. My hope is to spread the word about the North American Thebaid to as many parishes as possible.
Recent parish photo shoots include:
- new iconography at St Nicholas Church in McKees Rocks PA,
- restoration of the historic chapel at Holy Apostles in Beltsville MD,
- worship services at St Stephen the First-Martyr Mission (Lima OH) and St Herman of Alaska (Hudson OH),
- the new church building and iconography, as well as group photos, at St Symeon’s in Birmingham AL.
Advance consultations with each parish would help determine their specific needs, so as to create a work list and schedule to use as a guide for the photography.
In addition to the photo shoot, the host parish and individual contributors will receive our valuable crowdfunding rewards, based on the collection total and individual contributions.
For examples of my photography at the parish level, you are invited to explore the website of my home parish, Christ the Savior-Holy Spirit in Cincinnati, as well as see here and here. References available on request.
Contact me for details, questions and to schedule…
Suggestions for hosting a Successful Thebaid Presentation:
- Post the info on your parish website and Facebook page,
- Invite other Orthodox parishes in your city or region,
- Use our special Thebaid graphics to enhance your web, email and church bulletin announcements promoting the event,
- Invite your local college OCF (Orthodox Christian Fellowship) chapter,
- Reach out to area colleges & universities, invite their philosophy & religion departments to attend,
- Issue a press release, and invite local news outlets to cover the presentation — use the opportunity as a means to invite the public to learn more about Orthodoxy, and to ‘Come and see!’
As you can see, the North American Thebaid Project is about much more than photography. I see this endeavor as a unique creative missionary endeavor which can help advance the “churching of America.”